SoloSEO

Nobody Logged Into MyBlogLog Anymore?

Posted by Michael D Jensen on March 15th, 2007

Nobody Logged Into MyBlogLog Anymore - Snail Race

From all of my daily blog browsing, as well as watching our own blog, I don’t think many people are logged into MyBlogLog anymore. I know several blogs that used to have MyBlogLog on their sidebar, but don’t anymore.

I disabled MyBlogLog a few times early in January because it was dead slow, but that seemed to get resolved for the most part.

Then after the Shoemoney incident MyBlogLog fixed the authentication issue and in order to be logged in you had to go back and log in again. TechCrunch has a great round-up about the whole thing, including our second debut on TechCrunch (first).

I ran some tests earlier this week using one of our Missing MyBlogLog Tools, the Show All Visitors tool. I looked at several different blogs I read that are still using MyBlogLog on their site (graywolf, yaro, lonelymarketer, and andybeard). I know the traffic varies significantly between the sites, but even the high traffic sites had nowhere near the MyBlogLog turnover I would expect. On our blog, I used to be able to refresh every hour or two and have a whole new set of 10 pictures of people that came to our blog, but now I’m lucky if one or two new avatars shows up every hour or two. And it’s not our traffice, because since then our blog readership has increased more than 50%.

I think Yahoo is going to need to promote MyBlogLog a bit more with some integration efforts before they convince more of us to put it back on our sidebar. I loved seeing the faces of my readers, but now if only 3 or 4 of them are actually logged into MyBlogLog and the sidebar has very little turnover, I have little interest in watching it (it’s like watching a snail race) when I know by our analytics we have a ton more people actually visiting our blog.

Sorry MyBlogLog, you’re going to have to win me over again. Plus, you can’t say I never helped, I created a whole tool set for MyBlogLog (and still no trip to Yahoo or 1%).

9 comments Visited 5836 times March 15th, 2007 Michael D Jensen

Related Posts:

• Free Advertising on TechCrunch with MyBlogLog Flaw
  • Using Social Networks like MyBlogLog for Marketing
  • Free Links from MyBlogLog!
  • The Missing MyBlogLog Tools – Get More from MyBlogLog
  • Fools Gold – The Risk of Buying Links
  • Entry Filed under: Blogging,Misc,Networking,Social Media

9 Comments Add your own

• 1. Patrick Schaber  |  March 15th, 2007 at 11:06 am

Michael – I’ve noticed the same thing. Perhaps people don’t want others to know where they’re reading? I’m close to taking the widget off my site because there are hardly ever new faces.

• 2. Michael D Jensen  |  March 15th, 2007 at 11:14 am

Funny enough, when I wrote the post I actually thought I had it turned off. I had been turning it off and on because of speed issues and protesting (Shoemoney thing) so I forgot I even turned it back on. Alexa shows they are keeping up somewhat on their traffic, but who knows.

• 3. Spinchange  |  March 15th, 2007 at 4:08 pm

Well, Now You Got My Ugly Mug on there too ;~)
      But Seriously though, I digg your blog a lot good stuff.

Best,
      Chris Spinchange

• 4. Andy Beal  |  March 15th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

I noticed that I am logged out of MBL – I know I didn’t log out – and just didn’t bother to log back in. :-(

• 5. Stephen Pitts  |  March 15th, 2007 at 5:05 pm

Michael,

The newness has worn, similar to the snap preview that many bloggers used. MyBlogLog (Yahoo!) has some work to do to keep it on the forefront of social sites.

I still get a decent turnover, but I do think that there are a few people that get worried over the mirror effect (hey, look it’s me!) when they visit blogs.

I am really interested in seeing what Yahoo’s plans are…

• 6. graywolf  |  March 15th, 2007 at 6:09 pm

let’s just say I’m not impressed with their ability to deal with security issues. They are reactive instead of proactive. It was fun and you could cut them some slack when they were small but now that they are yahoo they have the resources to fix these things. It’s also waaaay too easy to spam, like not any effort, and like as fun as playing an old broken atari 2600. Been logged out for quite a while now.

• 7. Andy Beard  |  March 21st, 2007 at 9:35 pm

I definitely don’t own .co.uk ;)

Thus my late reply

Lets be realistic about this

The people who were using MyBlogLog as a way to meet others and find new interesting sites, are still using it to meet others and find new interesting sites.

All the relationships I built up with some amazing bloggers through MyBlogLog still exist, and most are still using MyBlogLog.

The people who are not using MyBlogLog are generally the people whoring it for traffic and abusing it every way they could think of.

It is actually sad that Matt Cutts recently linked through to the Shoemoney exploit, but didn’t take the opportunity to debunk the tracking FUD.

Michael, it is easy to point the finger at MyBlogLog, but you would think by this time with all their resources Google would have come up with a way to prevent people abusing Adsense publisher IDs, or maybe provide their own comprehensive Adsense tracking service.

• 8. Michael D Jensen  |  March 22nd, 2007 at 3:22 am

Andy, thanks for your comment. I fixed the URL to your site, I can’t believe I missed that one! I guess my memory failed me there.

I just think that MBL needs to do something more, they’ve been quiet too long and its all been defensive mode. Everyone has issues, Google even as you mentioned, but I just think there is a real opportunity for MBL to be an incredible app, but Yahoo isn’t stepping up quite yet.

• 9. Andy Beard  |  March 22nd, 2007 at 4:14 am

You handle development, so you will realise that reactive development isn’t as efficient as proactive planned development. If exploits aren’t publicised so much, there is more time to fix them.
      XSS hacks in WordPress generally don’t get publicised allowing some time to fix them.

I have some knowledge of what to expect in the future. Scott Rafer has dropped a few hints, and I did have the chance to have a chat with Eric a few weeks ago.

My wishlist for MyBlogLog was probably the most radical of what I read.
      There is a chance that it will be possible to do more with MBL than I hoped.

When you are developing something that is a major change, it doesn’t pay to make lots of small upgrades to existing code.

Looking at WordPress again, the 2.0.x series is only having bugs and security updates made, and that took a major commitment, primarily so that it could be added to certain distributions.

There are much more serious problems with the version of WordPress you are running for this blog than there were for MBL.